This role will be based in Campinas*
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day and we need you as a Datacenter Technician Manager (DCTM).
Microsoft’s Cloud Operations & Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers our cloud services. As a CO+I DCT Manager, you will perform a key role in delivering the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft’s online services including Bing, Office 365, Xbox, OneDrive, and the Microsoft Azure platform. As a group, CO+I is focused on the personal and professional development for all employees and offers trainings and growth opportunities including Career Rotation Programs, Diversity & Inclusion trainings and events, and professional certifications.
Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and 1 million servers. Our foundation is built upon and managed by a team of subject matter experts working to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
With environmental sustainability and optimization at the forefront of our datacenter design and operations, we continue to grow and evolve as we meet the ever-changing business demands that hold Microsoft as a world-class cloud provider.
Do you want to empower billions across the world? Come and join us in CO+I and be at the forefront of the action!
As a Datacenter Technician Manager, your success will be measured by:
- Managers deliver success through empowerment and accountability by modeling, coaching, and caring.
- Model – Live our culture; Embody our values; Practice our leadership principles.
- Coach – Define team objectives and outcomes; Enable success across boundaries; Help the team adapt and learn.
- Care – Attract and retain great people; Know each individual’s capabilities and aspirations; Invest in the growth of others.
- Promotes a positive and effective team environment by modeling best practices, leading regular team meetings and cross-discipline collaboration, and monitoring the status of work across their team.
Data Center Operations
- Shares expertise in and provides guidance on standard processes and procedures for preparing, installing, performing diagnostics, troubleshooting, replacing, and decommissioning equipment.
- Reviews process changes to evaluate impact on service execution and shares relevant information about change with stakeholders across functions and disciplines.
- Provides guidance on and holds a team of technicians accountable for compliance with Data Center Services (DCS) business unit and service-level policies, procedures, deadlines, and service change policies.
- Assigns tasks to technicians and monitors progress against Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and established Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
- Ensures work is appropriately prioritized and that resources and team capabilities are in place so that assigned tickets are completed within SLAs and meet KPIs.
- Analyzes data related to technicians’ performance on tickets and shares with Operations Management.
- Ensures technicians are trained on procedures for installation, deployment, replacement, and post-execution quality check processes.
- Investigates root causes of issues that may have impacted SLAs and takes proactive corrective action.
- Ensures that tasks assigned to technicians are appropriate for their individual capabilities and they have access to and complete relevant training.
- Shares updates with relevant stakeholders during service incidents and escalates issues with significant customer or business impact to appropriate experts and stakeholders.
- Exercises awareness and discretion to contribute to issue tracking, follow-up, and resolution; accountable for service compliance and quality; escalates issues through appropriate channels, follows-up on issue resolution, and shares knowledge related to issue resolution with appropriate teams; provides guidance to technicians around client interactions.
- Monitors services tickets and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and reports trends and service anomalies.
- Leads team and triage meetings, prioritizes work across their team, and rebalances priorities to respond to changes.
- Collects and reviews service metrics for their team to support service intelligence analysis.
- Partners with internal and external stakeholders to manage the removal of risks to personnel, resource availability, performance, and compliance.
- Identifies and develops needed skills of technicians on their team in alignment with service design to maximize efficiency.
- Ensures technicians receive detailed guidance on specific tasks as needed and have access to on-the-job training opportunities to develop knowledge and skills through hands-on experience.
Data Center Work Environment
- Conducts daily safety briefings, completes required safety training, and participates in on-site safety committees; ensures technicians are complying with safety procedures (e.g., equipment use, lifting, electrical hazards, ladder/rolling stair use).
- Promotes a culture of safety and empowers technicians to take action, speak up, and report safety concerns and/or incidents.
- Holds any on-site personnel accountable for complying with security and data management procedures and ensures technicians have completed required security training.
- Ensures that policies dictating access to the data center or network site are appropriately enforced.
- Provides and responds to constructive feedback on ways to work more effectively and inclusively within the team.
- Leads, provides guidance, schedules, and provisions a team of technicians to achieve service-level requirements and quality of service according to agreed-upon requirements while also supporting technicians’ work-life balance.
- Has pride and a sense of accountability for the service quality, completeness, and resulting user experience; displays accountability and ownership of the data center facilities; identifies unaddressed issues within his or her area of work, resolves, escalates, and/or finds the appropriate owner to ensure the highest level of quality service.
- Learns the client’s business and maintains a strong client focus to optimize resources and improve quality; articulates the impact of work performed within the Data Center to technicians.
- Embody our culture and values
- Bachelors degree or equivalent and strong knowledge of computer hardware and components AND 4+ years’ experience supporting IT equipment or related technology or related experience working with technical teams.
- 3+ years’ experience leading diverse, technical, or IT workforce of up to ten employees
- Ability to work shifts, including shift assignments during non-standard business hours that may include evening, nighttime, weekends, and/or holidays
While not required, we also look for the following Preferred Qualifications:
- Associates degree in Computer Science or other field and/or equivalent work experience.
- 3+ years’ experience working in a production, mission-critical 24x7x365 datacenter environment.
- Applicable certifications: Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Foundation, ASICS/Inventory Control, CompTIA (A+, Server+, Network+), Basic Structure Cabling (BSC), Certified Data Center Professional (CDCP), Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP), Six Sigma Green Belt)..
Background Check Requirements
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.